Although there are lots of other options to keep track of updates on your favorite websites, I think Google Reader is a really good option. I am not alone with this discovery… 🙂
Once You started using Google Reader, the more RSS feeds You are following the more useful You are going to find adding and use folders to organize the RSS feeds or Subscriptions as it is called here.
Once You have the RSS feed link added to your Subscription list in Google Reader, then this short tutorial is going to show You how to arrange them into folders. For this example I will use my recent subscription to a great blog at http://mjmonaghan.wordpress.com/.
- First, You will have to locate the RSS feed that You want to move into a folder (in this example see “mj monagham” at the bottom of the list):
- Click on the black triangle on the right side of the “mj monagham’ selection so a context menu is going to appear.
- Either select any already existing folder, where you would like to move this RSS feed or as You can see in this example, choose “New folder…” if You want to create a new folder in the subscription list:
- Enter the folder name into the textbox, then click “OK”:
- See that the “mj monagham” RSS feed was moved to the new folder “Testfolder”:
It was simple, wasn’t it?
You can list an RSS feed in multiple folders. Just simply select multiple folders in the context menu of your RSS feed (see step #2 to pull up the context menu):
OR You can just simply drag and drop the RSS feed to move it to another folder.
Changing the name of a folder is very simple, too. There are two ways taking care of it: simple or very simple. 🙂
The simple way is going to the Google Reader settings by clicking on the icon in the top right corner and selecting “Reader settings”:
Once You are there, click on the “Folders and Tags” tab and do what You have to do. 🙂
The very simple way is using the context menu of the folder. Pull up the context menu in the same way as You pulled up the context menu of the RSS feed => click on the black triangle next to the folder name:
Select “Rename folder” from the context menu, type the new name into the textbox and click OK:
If You have any questions, please let me know and I will do my best to help You.
Have fun organizing your subscription list!